Residents in and around Bury St Edmunds are being urged to up the security of their sheds and garages following a series of break ins during this month.
Police are telling us that we can take some basic steps to ensure the security of our out buildings as well as how you can security mark and register your property.
Please check your security and use the below as guidance;
- Always keep your shed or garage locked.
- Ensure the shed (and garage) are behind a secure perimeter.
- Use dusk to dawn lighting if your shed or garage can be seen or is subject to CCTV.
- Use coach bolts to fasten hinges and hasp and staples or padbar.
- Security mark property and register it at www.immobilise.com
- Fit anchor points to secure items to.
- Have an alarm fitted and use it.
- Avoid storing high value items in the shed.
- Ensure your shed is in good condition.
- Avoid windows in the shed.
- Use two good quality closed shackle padlocks to secure the shed door.
- Always lock integral doors between the garage and house.
- Add ground mounted locking bars to enhance security on âup and overâ garage doors.
- Use two good quality closed shackle padlocks or a 5 lever mortice and rim lock (BS3621) to secure outward or inward opening doors.
- Lock all garage windows and keep them covered.
- Be Vigilantâ¦â¦ report all suspicious people/vehicles to us on 101, ask your neighbours to do the same. Get descriptions of clothing, hair colour, height or vehicle make, models and index marks. IF A CRIME IS IN PROGRESS DIAL 999
For further home security and general crime reduction information please go to 1st Principle at https://www.suffolk.police.uk/advice/crime-prevention-z